Zebra mussels are one of the biggest threats to our aquatic ecosystem.
Currently Lakewood is one of the only remaining lakes in the region that has not been contaminated. Zebra mussels have a tremendous negative impact on aquatic ecosystems, changing the quality of the water, outcompeting native freshwater mussels, and reducing the plankton available that form the basis for fish life.
Learn about Zebra Mussels from the Missouri Department of Conservation.
All boats coming in through the Boat Ramps must be inspected, as well as all watercraft entering the lake.
To keep this process as efficient as possible, we ask membership to “Clean, Drain and Dry” their boats and trailers between bodies of water. The following tips will help ensure our lake remains free of this invasive species, and to quickly serve our members when entering the exiting the lake.
If the boat has been in foreign waters:
- Power wash the craft and trailer at 140 degrees temperatures, flushing the motor and live wells
- Allow time to dry prior to launching at Lakewood
Prior to staff inspection at time of launching, ensure:
- The boat, trailer and any other equipment are clean and can likely pass the inspection
- There is no standing water, weeds or plants attached to either the trailer or boat
To get through inspection, ensure:
- Ensure that the trailer and boat are properly licensed
- That a currently Lakewood sticker is attached
- That you carry your valid Lakewood I.D. when approaching the gate. No one without a valid I.D. will be allowed to launch, regardless of the condition of the craft and trailer
If Zebra Mussels are found during inspection, the craft will need to be washed and quarantined, as defined by LPOA rules and regulations. The incident will be reported to the Missouri Department of Conservation as well.
View Lakewoods Policies on Zebra Mussels
Access to Ramps
When requesting access to the ramps, please call Community Services. Please call at least 20 minutes in advance to launch or remove a boat from the water.
Contractors on the Lake
Coordinate any work done by contractors with LPOA staff. Contractors will not be allowed access to the lake without inspection and the member’s permission.
Zebra Mussels in the Region
Zebra Mussels have been found in many surrounding lakes. Click here to review the press release about Hillsdale Reservoir near Topeka KS in 2016.